What is Male Breast Reduction?
Working with Dr. Ridgway, you have the option to alter the shape of your chest, flattening and enhancing your chest contours. With a solid understanding of what may be occurring, whether as the result of hormonal changes, heredity, obesity, or the use of certain drugs, Dr. Ridgway can develop a plan to address any tissue overdevelopment or enlargement, also known as gynecomastia, you may be experiencing.
Men like you can experience gynecomastia at any age. In severe cases of gynecomastia, the weight of excess breast tissue may cause tissue to sag and stretch the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple). In these cases Dr. Ridgway can work with you to re-position and re-size your areola and reduce excess skin.
Gynecomastia is characterized by:
- Excess localized fat
- Excess glandular tissue development
- Sometimes excess breast skin
Is it right for me?
- You are physically healthy and of relatively normal weight
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breast development has stabilized
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too large
- Adolescents may benefit from surgery, although secondary procedures may be needed in the future should breast development continue.
Surgical correction of gynecomastia is best performed on:
- Men whose condition cannot be corrected through alternative medical treatments
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Non-smokers and non-drug users
- Men with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for improving the physical symptoms of gynecomastia
PROCEDURE LENGTH1-3 hours (depending on extent of procedure)
IN/OUT PATIENTUsually Outpatient
RECOVERYBack at work in 1-2 weeks
Resume light exercise at 2 weeks
Resume strenuous activity at 6 weeks
8-12 weeks for swelling to resolve