What is an Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty)?
We may recommend nose surgery, also known as rhinoplasty, if it may enhance a sense of facial harmony based upon the proportions of your nose.
Nose surgery can change:
- Your nose size in relation to facial balance
- Your nose width at the bridge or in the size and position of your nostrils
- Your nose profile with visible humps or depressions on the bridge of your nose
- Your nasal tip if you feel that it is enlarged or bulbous, drooping, upturned or hooked
- Your nostrils if you feel they may be too large, wide, or upturned
- A sense of nasal asymmetry
Your nose plays a prominent role in defining the character of your face, and for many it defines how other features on your face relate to each other visually. The decision to alter the shape of your nose, like any cosmetic surgery, is deeply personal, and has the potential to change not only how others may perceive you, but how you relate to your own image. Keep in mind that everyone's face is asymmetric to some degree. Consultation with Dr. Ridgway can help you determine the range of possible outcomes to create facial balance and correct proportion for yourself.
Dr. Ridgway can also perform nose surgery to correct impaired breathing caused by structural defects that may be present within the bone structure of your nose. Dr. Ridgway will work closely with you to carefully evaluate your nasal structure as it relates to airflow and breathing, whether that suggests correcting a deviated septum, by adjusting your nasal structure to produce better alignment or exploring other surgical options.
Nose surgery is a good option if:
- Your facial growth is complete
- You are physically healthy
- You don't smoke
- You have a positive outlook and realistic goals in mind for the improvement of your appearance
PROCEDURE LENGTH2-3 hours
IN/OUT PATIENTUsually Outpatient
RECOVERY7-10 days back at work
1-2 weeks light to moderate exercise
3-4 weeks more strenuous activity
1 month for most swelling to resolve
1 year to see final rhinoplasty results