What is Body Contouring
The way we feel about our body - the way it looks, the way it moves with us, the way we think others may perceive it - plays a significant role in the relationship we have with ourselves.
The reasons you may have for wanting to create changes in the way your body is shaped are unique to you. Meeting with Dr. Ridgway will give you the chance to discuss you motivations, the ideals you have in mind and what can actually be achieved. From this, Dr. Ridgway will work with you to create a realistic plan that prepares you for every detail of your experience.
There are many factors that can change the shape of our bodies over time - time, damage from the sun, significant fluctuations in weight, and genetic factors each play a role in making your skin less elastic, impacting the shape of your abdomen, buttocks and thighs.
Body contouring improves the shape of the underlying tissue that supports your tissue and skin. Depending upon your body type, and the results you want to achieve, Dr. Ridgway may perform procedure that remove excess fat and skin to improve dimpled, irregular skin surfaces.
Body contouring is a very individualized process, and may involve:
- A facelift to address sagging through your face, jowls, and neck
- A tummy tuck to remove an apron of excess skin hanging over your abdomen
- Or lower body lifts to address sagging of your abdomen and buttock
- A medial thigh lift to address sagging of the inner, outer and mid thigh
- And a brachioplasty (arm lift) to remove any sagging tissue in your upper arm
In general, good candidates for body contouring are:
- Adults whose weight loss has stabilized
- Healthy individuals without medical conditions that impair healing or increase risk of surgery
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic goals
- Individuals that are committed to leading a healthy lifestyle with proper nutrition and fitness
PROCEDURE LENGTH2-4 hours
IN/OUT PATIENTUsually Outpatient
RECOVERYBack at work in 2 weeks
Resume light exercise at 2 weeks
Resume strenuous activity at 6 weeks
8-12 weeks for swelling to resolve